Thursday, January 20, 2005

Painting Warps


Painting Warps
Originally uploaded by lambspin.
Yesterday was sunny and warm, a good day to dye. I had four warps of 8/2 reeled silk from Treenway prepared, washed and de-gummed the night before. To de-gum, I soaked the warps in a crock pot overnight, in a solution of dish washing liquid and soda ash. I rinsed them in the morning, and then soaked them in the fixative: a vinegar bath.

While the warps were soaking, I mixed up dye stock soultions: 2% of Lanaset Blue, Violet and Turquoise, and 1% of Navy. I wanted dark/neutrals for this project: a travel carry all bag, with pockets.

I painted the four warps with variations of the colors, then bundled them up in plastic to steam.

The warps went into the steamer, I turned it on, and went about my afternoon. Oops. I forgot them. They steamed for about an hour, rather than the usual 20-30 minutes. The only casualty seems to have been the plastic wrap: it became an Ugly Plastic Sculpture. I left them to cool overnight.

There was very little washoff when I rinsed them this morning, and hung them out to dry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

I'll forgive you for the "sunny and warm" comment, but only because you posted that pretty picture. ;-)

1:40 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Sara!

Blogging?

Well, this will be entertaining.

;-)

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home