Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Oops. . .another beginning

How easily we forget. Before the Coin Purse, I had been doing some beadwoven bags. The first was Evening Bag:

evening bag2

which I thought was a very clever pun. But no one seemed to get it, they just thought it was a pretty evening bag. The back:

evening bag

a nebula (sadly, not as colorful as it once was: the metal finish has flaked off some of the beads). The handle is kumihimo, I think some kind of rayon yarn. This was 1993 or so, I know it was displayed at the CNCH conference in 1994.

So the next year, CNCH was to be held in Monterey. Continuing with the attempt at puns, I did Beach Bag:

beach bag2

and it's back:

beach bag

More people realized the tongue-in-cheekness of it. I did get a funny comment though, on how tacky the plastic bobber was (Tacky? Isn't the whole thing a bit tacky?). The handle is kumihimo here, too, a rayon ribbon. (You can click on any of these photos for a bigger view).

The next step was, of course, Sandwich Bag:

sandwich bag

It's a ham sandwich, which is clear when you see the inside because the lining is pink. It has peyote stitch tomatoes and lettuce. The comment on this one? *Why didn't you make it with whole wheat bread?*. People need more to do, I think.

This led to more silly bags, skipping back and forth between fabric bags, like coin purse, and beadwoven bags. One of my favorites:

doggy bag

Doggy Bag. Yep, dog licenses, little doggy fetishes and sticks, with a choke chain handle. Much fun was had. OK, yes, it's a small life around here.

6 Comments:

Blogger claudia said...

Sara, those are FABULOUS. The sandwich bag is worthy of an award.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Leisel said...

Those bags are just too fun. Keep it up. What a boring world this would be if we were all serious all the time.

3:43 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

my number one goal in life is to have fun. if i didn't, then what would i do? your bags are great, and the ham sandwich is magnificent. whole wheat, bosh!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

'ecky thump, whatever was in this latest post to attract *that* lot!!!
I on the other hand am just so pleased to see the bags again. I'm never sure which is my favourite, but "Evening bag" must be a contender.
Oh - maybe they thought it was spam not ham in the sarnie?

2:10 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

These bags are drop dead gorgeous!!! Happy Birthday Sara!!!

6:02 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

happy birthday! your blog is a constant inspiration to me :-)

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home