Monday, December 12, 2005

Two Steps Backwards

Sometimes, ripping back is the better part of valor:

rugstart2

This is about 2" woven. I originally planned to do a 5" border of plain color around a central field.

Within an inch, I knew I could not weave so much plain color, unrelieved of pattern. Too *quiet* for me (there were several other word choices I could have used in place of quiet, suffice it to say, quiet is the least likely to offend). Too *zen* would be another way to put it, and me? not a zen person. I'm more the horror vacuui type. I plotted.

I like this silk bag:

bagback1

So I did a quick sketch, approximating the colors of the rug:

rugdrawing

It looked OK, so I forged on. Beware of forging. Sometimes *sleeping on it* is a better choice.

Bleah. I did not like it. I added some red (better) but still, not what I wanted in this rug. I slept on it (so to speak).

Today I took out 4 rows. That is 4 times 223 knots. I do not want to do the math. I am sure this is all worth it, and that I will like the finished rug better, and that the pain of ripping will subside:

rugstart1

Now we will move forward, this time with a series of borders. I spent some of my supposed sleeping time last night calculating, thinking numbers, fitting designs into the space allotted. I'm sure many of you do the same: counting picks, or warp ends, or stitches, instead of sheep.

On a much brighter note, I received these beads from Gayle:

gayle's beads1

She made them for me, thinking these were just my colors. And they are! Do they match this rug, or what??

Gayle's beads

Thanks Gayle!

Now, me? Back to work:

rugstart

4 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

Those (un)knots look so pretty piled up. Good thing you didn't do the math though.

The beads really are you, aren't they?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

so, can you use the (un)knots over again?

I like the boxes pattern....reminiscent of a fat quarter of quilt fabric that I have, just because I like it.

The bead match is amazing.

7:07 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Good for you for not whining, even a little.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Whew! I'm glad you've been knotting--even if you're doing some tonking, too. I was getting kinda worried about all that knitting you've been doing. Too odd.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home