Friday, August 04, 2006

Fair Weather

Well, it's time again for the county fair. Receiving, judging and set up are this week, and the fair begins next Wednesday.

I've agreed to demonstrate inkle weaving, and have been working to clear off my inkle loom of the band I set up several months ago for the CNCH demonstration.

Very little weaving had been accomplished since May, so I had to get this off the loom:

CNCH demo band

To start this:

fair demo band

This is an easier pickup system to weave while distracted, and the fair is anything but a calm environment! There are children, dogs, cotton candy, popsicles, ice creams and other sticky substances in abundance. So, I wanted a simpler band, easier to weave and keep track of my place, and easier for fair goers to try. This pickup system is complementary: if one thread is picked up, another corresponding thread is dropped (unlike the supplementary of the black/red band, where pattern threads are picked up and dropped off at will, according to the draft).

I've done this S pattern often. I learned it from Ed Franquemont, one of my favorite-of-all-time teachers. Sadly, Ed died a few years ago, he was a spell-binding tale-weaver, as well as a fabulous spinner and weaver himself.

Ed called this pattern Kutij, translated to That Which Returns, for obvious reasons:

that which returns

Threading for this pattern is also easier than the Eastern European threading for the black/red band above: there is a border of any number of threads, then the pattern section is threaded with alternating colors, dark/light. This area would be horizontal bands of alternating colors, if no pickup patterning occurred.

I like to weave That Which Returns with the direction of the S alternating, and on a good day, alternate the colors of the motif and background. The fair not being designated a good day, as far as weaving concentration goes, I'll just weave a band of plain S's.

I'll be at the Fair Wednesday and Thursday, other guild members will be there too, and also on the weekend. Come by and say hello, if you are in the area, and try your hand at pickup inkle band patterning!

5 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

I amy have to come by just to see you and Jean; my day is Friday. Here's hoping for the kind of weather we have had this week!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Cool! I think I may just be able to figure this one out.

12:05 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

That is a very beautiful pattern. I must admit, I'm drawn to the simple, elegant ones....

3:34 PM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Oh, Inle weaving looks so fascinating. That pattern is lovely. Looking forward to seeing the shawl finished. :0)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sonia_K said...

I'd love to buy the black and red one. Is it for sale?

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home