Friday, October 13, 2006

On Dyeing Silk

Time again for a few batches of dyed silk fiber:

silk Oct 2006



It is always a challenge and a pleasure to dye silk in a variety of colors that I think someone else might like.

Color is so important to most of us. It is often the first key, the reason many people are attracted to an item. But to some, color is no color (or what I would call no color). To others, the color has to hit you between the eyes. Most of us fall into the space between, but it is a wide continuum.

I know what I like (and I think Marcy and Nancy know too). But when I look at colors other people choose, I'm sometimes stumped.

They are all beautiful, and they will all make fine yarn. With enough dyed, there will be something for everyone.

The goal here is lots. Lots of color, lots of silk, and lots of choices.

8 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

Sara, did you know there are two spots on the back of your head that you can press and CHANGE the way your brain interprets the colors you see? Lena's been tweaking mine to compensate for the damage to my rods and cones. We have red turned up a bit too high this month, it rather jumps out at me suddenly. --syl, a fan of sage and olive and soft yellow

7:47 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

And as we know, Sara, there are no ugly colors. . . except mine! Bwahahahaha!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Gor-Gee-US!

11:26 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

me, i'm particular to the blues & purples, but if it's silk, i'll take it!

11:54 AM  
Blogger judy said...

My mechanic once told me: "there's an ass for every seat". Same goes for color. But, how can you go wrong with silk?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous - even if there are no olives, rusts, and bronzes in the mix ;-)

4:43 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Breathtaking! I am always taken back by the rich color of dyed silk. In fact, I have lots of it upstairs. It's fun to spin but I need someone to take me by the hand and explain now to use silk yarn.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Those lucky students of yours... I am most partial to the shiny purple in the back and the deep forest green. It is so impressive how silk really takes to dye and becomes more alive when in color.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home