Thursday, November 09, 2006

Home To

Luggage and laundry:

SOAR luggage

Lots of boxes to unpack:

SOAR Boxes2006

But also pleasant reminders of how nice SOAR was. It was a great trip, a pleasant and cheerful SOAR with lots of happy times, quiet moments, and fibery conversations.

My workshop room was at the top of the complex, with a bonus beautiful view every way I could turn. Once my heart stopped pounding and I could breathe again, I enjoyed all the light and relative quiet at the top of the hill. SOAR can be non-stop visiting, and the quiet each day before and after class was a welcome bonus.

There was plenty of good food, plenty and good being the operative words, lots of late nights, and never enough time with friends seen only once a year. Thanks to Amy, I managed to score the recipe for Granlibakken's breakfast quiche, which helpfully starts with "mix 8 pounds of flour, 5 pounds of butter, etc." for the crust. The filling uses 90 eggs, and it goes on from there. Now all I need to do is find a Very Large Oven, and a few hundred friends to help me eat it.

The Yarn Harlot was very entertaining and sweet, and no bears or raccoons interfered with her talk, even though we were in a cold and drafty tent previously frequented by said raccoons. Stephanie? You wondered about a yurt for your potential backyard personal escape-space and studio? It would be a lot like that tent. In Toronto? Maybe not so much.

We took a few extra days in the mountains, which never hurts, but the weather started to turn just as we headed down the hill. I arrived home to blue skies and Fall weather here:

Fall 2006

Inside the yurt, left on my desk, I found my my packing list, a reminder of just how much it takes to get everything ready:

SOAR pack list

Notice the checked-off things, lined-through things, and (ahem) the coffee stains? Frenzy and forgetfulness do not a happy couple make. But we made it through, and whatever I may have forgotten was either procured or not really needed. We spinners are nothing if not resourceful, and the SOAR staff really are there to help.

I'll spend the next few days in the yurt, which is waiting in the sun, beckoning:

Fall yurt

What will I be doing? Well the first thing will be to start spinning that big bag of white roving in that photo above, from Francine at Rovings, and yes, most people buy the dyed stuff. Not me, not this time. I can (and will) dye it after I spin it up, any color I like. The potential sometimes seems overwhelming, in this whole world of fiber we inhabit: we can just about do anything we please. Too much fun.

I'll sit and spin after, that is, I unpack all of the above. Sheesh!

5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Woo hoo - glad that you are home and almost ready to spin.

I enjoyed your class and look forward to seeing you again next time.

I have some of that wonderful fiber from Francine and it went on my wheel almsot as soon as I was home.

Barbara

1:09 PM  
Blogger Fall Cruise to Alaska said...

Hi Sara,

I'm a lurky reader of your blog. Wasn't SOAR fun!!?! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to take your class (I was a vendor so my classes were limited). I also didn't get any of Francine's roving because the lines were non-stop! I hope to see you at the next SOAR.

By the way, I'm very jealous of your yurt! If I had a flat backyard, I'd definitely have one. Unfortunately I live on about a 40 degree slope. But maybe I could just fit on in at the bottom of the hill... getting out protracter.. wanders away muttering...

Oh yeah! I look forward to future blog postings so I can keep in touch with what you're up to. And if you ever make that quiche, my address is....

-- Janel
http://beebonnet.typepad.com

3:37 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Isn't spinning a centering? How did it happen that we should have come to know how to spin and dye and dye and spin? And for you - weave? Keep teaching and "pushing" the loveliness of our craft! I think we're in an time where women are searching for self espression and that's got to tough on the few teachers. It has to be wearing and it has to take away from the time you'd like to spend on your own work. Good on you~

10:23 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Yurt, how do I love thee...

7:09 PM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

Sounds like a lovely trip. And I love that Yurt. I think I want a Yurt.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home