Wednesday, December 20, 2006

It's a Wrap

These are the gifts:

stocking gifts

And these are the wrappers:

Stockings

Against all advice, I ran them once through the washer to firm them up and felt them a little bit (the better to hold up under the weight of gifts). They are stretched here on their custom-made sock blockers. I like them better after a wash, they are just a little firmer. I guess I knit loose (who knew?).

The toe-shape has caused much comment. I like them, stubby though they may be. The toes were inspired by Nancy Bush's Tallinn socks in Knitting on the Road:

stocking picture

(oddly oriented photo, I know, but I could not take it straight on: the flash obscured the page).

Details: Cascade 220, size 6 needles, cast on 80 st. and knit for 12", then insert a place holder yarn for afterthought heel. Heels and toes are the same: two decreases each side, every other round. Kitchener toes and heels (and may I say that I am good at the Kitchener? hee). Eileen, at my LYS, gave me the head start: her pattern is for size 7 needles, and 60 sts. but I followed her directions for the heel and toe construction, and some of her charts. Thanks Eileen!

The stockings and their gifts are winging their way to their recipients, so it is, indeed, a wrap.

Reagan Patrice: Blogger does not give me your email to return comments. If you'd like a quick reply on Horoscope scarves, email me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure the gifts are lovely, but ooooooh, the wrappers.....yum!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Daddy said...

Speaking of winging - have you seen a box from Dallas yet?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Fantastic stockings! I like the stubby toe too. Gifts don't get lost down there! My aunt made all of our stockings and I took over for the next generation. I also use size 6 and 80 stitches.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I like those so very much. Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery. I'm going to flatter you~

6:25 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Spectaular stockings! Lot's of work went into them. You're amazing...........

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful stockings!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Reagan Patrice said...

Sarah,
Thanks a bunch for everything. The address linked did not work. I used the email address found a webpage I found of yours.

12:11 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Have a lovely holiday. Lucky stocking recipients!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home