Saturday, February 17, 2007

Been Driving

This is a Long State. I've driven it down and back now, and even though I live part way to the top, I'm done, done done with driving for a while. Glad to be home.

It seems for the last few years, I've spent time in the southlands, and I've come to expect a certain Southern California-ness to the weather. Oops. This time it was brisk, chilly even, and there was rain. Granted, the rain came, Camelot-like, in the night while we slept. But it was wet stuff falling out of the sky nonetheless.

As usual, I had a grand time. First there was the Southern California Handweavers Guild. They are preparing for the upcoming ASCH conference, with workshops, guild displays and vendors (!), always a happy addition.

We dyed. We dyed samples, over 500 colors, which Nicki posted on her blog here.

I stayed with Nicki and her husband, and their four (count 'em!) four chihuahuas. It sounds like it would be like staying inside a popcorn popper, but really, truly, they calmed down and were quite sedate. Until. Until something occurred. Anything would do: noises, leaves falling, phones ringing, someone moving. Then we had a brief period of popcorn-popping, until it was determined that all was right with the world and we (meaning they) could sleep again.

Nicki is weaving a fabulous piece for the ASCH conference, which I shall not describe here, in case it's a secret, only to be revealed at the conference. It is beautiful though, was almost finished when I was there, and is probably finished now. You all can see it at the conference soon, and for those of us who won't be there, Nicki promises a series of blog-posts about the whole process, after the conference (no pressure, eh?).

Then, it was off even further south, to the Palomar Guild. I stayed with Michelle and her husband, in a house in an orange grove, organic blood oranges no less, which survived the recent freezing temperatures (and were absolutely delicious).

Along the route to and from the workshop site were avocado groves. Yep, whole acres of avocado trees, be still my heart. I did not purloin. I wanted to. I swore I'd stop at a store and buy lots. I forgot. Ah well, next time. Many orange and avocado groves have been frozen in recent weeks, so price and availability is soon to be an issue. And I missed my chance, pout.

We also dyed, more samples, and both guilds did some yarn dyeing for good measure.

It was a pleasure, at both guilds, thanks for the opportunity. And now for a little gratuitous yarn picture:

gratuitous yarn photo

I'm afraid that ordering yarn, already dyed, is all that I've had time for of late. That and some flamingoes:

sara flamingoes2

at the San Diego Zoo.

7 Comments:

Blogger Spindlers2 said...

*Real* flamingoes! Did you kidnap any??

2:09 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Here you are! I was wondering what happened to you. I didn't realize flamingoes were in the kidnapping business. Welcome home.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Hey HB! It was so good to see you! Glad you got home safe and sound. And speaking of weather - I took a spinning workshop today - it was downright HOT, gusty winds. Felt good to do some spinning though - my first in way too long. Felt like a re-newbie.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

holy hannah! How long did it take you to dye 500 samples and how many workshop participants did you have? I am in total awe! Total and complete awe!

4:20 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Its nice to see an actual picture of you make a guest appearance on this here blog.

;-)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Great picture of you and the flamingos. Looks downright tropical!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Oh hah, you return from my home town. I'm sad you only saw the zoo and not Balboa Park which was always my favorite - oh so close. San Diego is a lovely place to be from. Don't you love the eucalyptus trees???! I'm so glad I don't have to live there but get to visit. My favorite fruit? Avocados!!! Fact: you can't live there and have a wool passion--it's never cold enough for wool.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home