Friday, September 26, 2008

The Countdown Begins

I shipped off two very large boxes yesterday, ending the frenzy of dyeing, packaging, making lists, shopping, and checking things off the list. The race has well and truly begun: SOAR is fast upon us.

I have been making new class samples, using the Cricket. Weavers often take classes that are *just* to make samples: one ends up with a binder full of woven swatches in different yarns and weave structures: a reference manual.

I like samples to be actually useful, but still contain all the components I want the class to learn:
SOAR 2008 sample bag small

This is a little bag, with a verrrrrrry long band, long enough to hang diagonally over my shoulder, and stay firmly attached. I plan to use it at fairs and festivals where carrying a big purse is unwieldy, but one still wants cash and keys, and maybe a driver's license and a little plastic.

The pile is handspun silk, and the band is cardwoven. The design on the band is intended to mimic the twining on the back of the bag:

SOAR 2008 sample bag back small

In the all things at the right time category, we have the Celtic Fair this weekend, where the bag will get its debut. I'll be there Sunday, spinning (or maybe weaving on the Flip, the Cricket being in those boxes I shipped), so if you are in the area, stop by, say hello, have a brew and some haggis (!), enjoy the nice Fall weather, and listen to some fabulous music.

6 Comments:

Blogger Daddy said...

Eep! I'm still working on getting ready to *start* packing. On the other hand, I don't get there until the retreat part, so I have just a little more leeway.

I'm so looking forward to it, and to meeting and seeing everybody!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Abby Franquemont said...

I have workshop stuff packed, but that is it.

See you next weekend. Heh.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Phiala said...

Funny, the three people I most want to meet at SOAR, all in the same place.

I never made it off the wait list *pout* but I want to go anyway, during one of the times the Market is open to the public, so that I can meet people. Do you three have any suggestions as to when the best time might be to do that? According to the SOAR blog, that could be Thursday, Friday or Saturday. After a month and a half of 60-70 hour workweeks I'm quite willing to take one of the weekdays off if that's better.

Suggestions???

10:08 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds [& looks] like more than enough justification to retake your class. I'll be watching the various venues accessible to me . . .
Best of luck and looking forward to reading about SOAR.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

What loveliness, and oh how I envy you the trip to SOAR. :-) I hope it is wonderful and inspiring and that amazing combination of relaxing and invigorating that fiber events usually provide. Hugs!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home