Saturday, February 07, 2009

More of the Same

sun and snow3

I got nothin'.

sun and snow

I have been mounting samples for the dyebooks, shipping off boxes to Deb, and generally drifting along with no new projects. It feels good to get pages done; the books are very close to finished and able to be shipped.

If, by the way, you think your name is on the waiting list for these books, email Deb. We've been contacting people, and several emails have bounced back as undeliverable. We would not want to miss you. It has taken us a while (6 years? yikes!) to complete all of the dyeing and mounting.

I do think about blog posts while I work away (is that any consolation Patricia?).

I think about color, and passion for the work we do versus the discipline it takes to get the work done. Sometimes it turns into an ugly rant in my head, and I realize it's better just to think about this stuff, rather than blog the whole thought process.

There are people who say they are passionate weavers, knitters spinners or dyers, whatever, but never get anything really done (like me, these days).

We all have and need fallow periods, and from that contemplative time the light comes on, we find the fire needed to create, and ultimately, start anew.

sun and snow2

There is sampling, swatching, scribbling in the notebook, gestating. It seems to me that one step leads to another, that to get new work out, I have to start in, sometimes work through several false starts before the idea coalesces.

This means there are sometimes failures, sometimes re-directs, sometimes work that is not stellar. But the light eventually dawns. I don't see any other way except to start in. How can we call ourselves passionate about this stuff and yet never get any work done?

You see, navel gazing. Some things should be left unsaid (and yet, I say them, heh). I'll shut up now, and perhaps listen to your ideas?

8 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Since I am currently fallow, it is reassuring to me to hear of other fallow periods in other fiber peoples' lives.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

You know what they say in song, "When you're Hot, you're Hot. When you're not, you're not." These words have always gotten me through the fallow periods.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I'm a fellow fallower too. The pre Christmas season is so busy that I allow myself January to sit and do nothing (unless I really want to) February is for cursing the snow and spinning. March is time to resume normal activities.
And if you have been working on the books,it is not as if you have been doing NOTHING! I'd call that a very large something indeed.

4:28 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Fallow. I embrace fallow.

10:09 AM  
Blogger judy said...

weird, these comments. I posted, it disappeared.
Fallow doesn't mean idle. I hope these times, and I am in one, where we keep on working, are the times when we look and see, gathering inspiration for the next creative onslaught.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Fallow times are when the creative spirit/muse regenerates. We all need winters of the soul for spring to emerge.

Besides, you've been very busy!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

my god sara-i thought the far away lands of santa clara for fibery goodness was a road trip- you take the cake!!!

while researching "tansmania"-i was very bummed to find Thylacine is now extinct. damn! i was going to ask you to bring me one home. a marsupial that resembles a wild dog-with stripes!!! what more could you ask for???

please don't bring me a T. Devil-i already have one- his name is "blue" and they tried to tell me it was a queensland heeler-bah!!!

have a grand time!!!!

4:56 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

my god sara-i thought the far away lands of santa clara for fibery goodness was a road trip- you take the cake!!!

while researching "tansmania"-i was very bummed to find Thylacine is now extinct. damn! i was going to ask you to bring me one home. a marsupial that resembles a wild dog-with stripes!!! what more could you ask for???

please don't bring me a T. Devil-i already have one- his name is "blue" and they tried to tell me it was a queensland heeler-bah!!!

have a grand time!!!!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home