Monday, May 17, 2010

One Thing Leads To....

A while ago, I posted about some yarns I have been organizing for a pair of gloves or mittens. I dyed the angora yarn mentioned a spring green, thinking it would go nicely with the coral and brown yarns. The color reminded me of something else...

wooly daisy wool

a bump of dyed wool from Steph, waiting to be spun. How nicely this would bring the other colors together, I thought, and so I spun up a skein:

wooly daisy oranges

This is three singles on (l to r) a Spinner's Lair, a Spindlewood and a Golding.

I bought the wool above with another bump, of blues, which seemed like a nice complement to the other yarns too:

wooly daisy blue

So I spun up a small amount:

3 blue spindles

This is the ( in reverse order r to l)Greensleeves, another Golding and a Cascade. I plied both sets on the Hound Design Dervish (my current favorite spindle, but I am fickle):

wooly daisy2

All the yarns are 3 ply, they seem to go nicely together:

mitt yarns

The colors reminded me of something I had seen:

composed mitts

The pattern is Composed Mitts (Rav link).

Seems like a theme here lately, last post: no brainer design. This post: no brainer design. All you need is time, effort and a an eensy remainder of memory, and all things come to those who wait...and do the work. That part is important. Nothing happens if I just sit around and daydream, or talk about it. I have to make an effort.

Things may not just make themselves, but sometimes they neatly present themselves for the making.

6 Comments:

Blogger Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful-I have never made a 3 ply yarn-always trying to stretch that handspun for every mile but this yarn looks just perfect!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Lovely yarn!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Great post! You are so right... thoughts have to get turned into actions or they are just daydreams. I love how you combined your various color options and ended up with a fun way to make a set of very distinctive mitts. I have that pattern! Better start doing some planning of my own:)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Two things:

1. Thank you so much for the endless amusement afforded first by your avowal (I have not forgotten!) regarding not being a knitter, and second by your plunge into the deep end of the spindle pool. I just love it when seemingly sensible people are slightly, um, less than utterly sensible, not that I'm implying anything about you, that is. I'm just saying.
2. Congratulations (perhaps, depending on your point of view): you've been tagged with a Kreativ Blogger Award (no, I did not make up the spelling; if nothing else I can transscribe) - see my blog for details.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

You're so cute. Did you know you can even spin all your yarn for a project on one spindle and wind it off onto, oh, say, weaving bobbins, when it gets full? Is true!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Those colors will be gorgeous together. Predictably, I love the bright yellow-green. :)

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home