Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grandma? Nana?

I have not decided (or it has not been decided for me) what I will be called when I grow up (early September. Nice to have a handle on when I will finally be grown up, eh?). Be that as it may, I have been busy with small things for several months. They were Secret From the Blog small things, but we had the shower for the baby and her mama yesterday.

I'll start with the knitting, since that is most accessible to most readers. First up, the ubiquitous (but still cute) fruit cap:

strawberry hat

My granddaughter will be a strawberry :). This is Cascade 220 Superwash, the pattern was on Ravelry.

Next, the first hat and booties I made (March) before we knew the baby will be a girl:
baby hat and booties

This is handspun superwash merino, in a color I thought would be gender neutral. When we found out she will be a girl, I used pink ribbons for the booties and hat ties. The hat is Norwegian Sweet Baby cap from Ravelry, and the booties are from the book 50 Baby Booties to Knit.

Next up, the consummate girly set:
pink hat and booties

Superwash wool (I forget the name of the yarn but I bought it at my LYS), in the Simple Hat pattern from Itty Bitty Hats, and the booties are Saartje's Booties from Ravelry.

Also from Itty Bitty Hats:
easter hat

An Easter bonnet! in Superwash Cascade 220. This is just way too cute.... :)

The last knitted hat:
silk baby hat

A silk bonnet from Knitting for Two. The silk is naturally dyed with pomegranate from Tactile Fibers, bought at SOAR last Fall. I have more of this silk, so there may be a matching sweater forthcoming ......

Which brings us to the sweaters....(you can see that I am worried this baby might be cold. She will live in Colorado. Her parents have a place in the mountains. I think they will take her up into the snow.....sigh). Anyway, first up, the Five Hour Baby Sweater (they lied, it took me more than five hours):

baby sweater five hour

Once again in Cascade 220 Superwash that I bought at Meadowfarm (I might just as well purchase all the colors: loved the yarn, loved the color range, will be useful for the I-bet-I-will-be-knitting-more future baby and child projects).

Then there is the handspun superwash BFL Knitting Pure and Simple hooded baby cardigan, which I call the Cutest Sweater Ever:

ps sweater

ps sweaterr  back

I bought superwash BFL roving from my friend BJ (Lola's Looms), dyed it in one pot:

SW wool in pot

I spun it into a three-ply yarn. There is some left, which might someday become mittens and a hat for a bigger girl :).

The last knitted gift is a baby bunting (repeat after me: Cascade 220 Superwash purchased at Meadowfarm, pattern from Knitting Pure and Simple. I am nothing if not consistent):

bunting and onsies w blanket

I dyed some Onesies in newborn and 6 month old sizes to go with the bunting, and embroidered a little on the neckline edge. Many of these gifts were photographed on an heirloom blanket the baby will have too: first used by the new papa's grandfather (1915), then used by the new papa's father (1948) and the new papa (1976), and now the new baby (2010). I washed it and added new blanket binding, and hope the baby will use it to death: almost one hundred years of use is enough for any textile!

Then we have the woven gifts :). First, a Very Pink cotton baby bonnet:
pink baby bonnet

I sewed this using a commercial pattern and it is big!, probably a three-year-old size or better. It is lined in flannel (consistent, consistent, and worried about cold ears).

Then we have rompers:
baby romper 2

baby romper

These are about 6 month size, lined in (heh) cotton flannel, sewn using a commercial sewing pattern, handwoven cotton cloth, with purchased t-shirts. The second one is the only fabric I wove with a specific project in mind:

romper fabric

This is various cotton yarns (mostly 5/2 and 8/2) in a narrow fabric sett at 24 epi. The rest of the fabric used for these projects was just woven (at 20 epi, same yarns: a range of cottons and rayons between 2000 and 3000 ypp) and then I decided what to make with it.

The new baby will have her own silk dress, using a leftover piece of fabric from the new mama's wedding shawl four years ago:

baby dress

Sorry for the blurry photo, here's a better one of the back:

baby dress back

I dyed the fabric red, and used a commercial sewing pattern for a dress of about a one-year old size. I say about because the armholes are large, and it looks to me like this could be worn as a smock-top over pants well into her third year. I used almost every scrap of the silk fabric I had saved:

silk scraps

Last, the booties and knitted cotton blanket I posted months ago, when I found out I would be a grandma? Nana? Time will tell:

red shoes

25 Comments:

Blogger Caroline M said...

Momma (mom-marr)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Paper Tiger said...

WOW. Gorgeous!!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wow - how beautiful... you've been saving up for a girl (at last, at last!!) after the years of boydom.

Sophie is 2 1/2 and hasn't settled on a name for me yet. I wait with baited breath (and little socks and sweaters).

Just wait til you knit little socks...so much fun!!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Delighted Hands said...

You can never be too prepared when it comes to Grandma-hood! If love per stitches is any indication, this child is well on her way to much loved foundation!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I certainly agree with Cathy, you have a LOT of pent-up grrl energy there, lying in wait, LOL. I loved all the fun you are having creating baby items... isn't it sweet how fast they go and fun too? I especially love all the reds, though that pale pink velvet ribbon added a very nice touch. Congrats!!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Grand-Sara

And I'm jealous of all that awesome red baby garb.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Oh joy! Oh joy! And what a fun thought for those of us who are mothers of only boys - that there might be baby granddaughters in the future. :-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Donna S. said...

Being a grandma is the best!!! My first grandson named me "MeMe" so that is what I am to all 4 grandchildren & 1/2 of the neighborhood! It came from him holding his arms up at me & saying me-me wanting to be picked up. But it stuck!!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Phew! I got a little tired just reading about all you have been creating! I think she'll be plenty warm :-) I had no preference for a name, but he decided I was grandma. Though sometimes he'll get a little twinkle in his eye and call me "graham cracker". Enjoy!!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am Gammie. To 4 beautiful grandaughters between almost 5 and 12. Wow, how did *that* happen??

Sara love it, hold it, kiss it. It is wonderful this Gammie thing.

Besides having the best dressed Granddaughter in the fiber universe you will pass on so much in years to come.

This is big, trust me!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

So lovely! And congratulations on impending grandma-hood. I bet it comes with more sleep than does motherhood.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

What a fortunate baby! I love the hats!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger amyfibre said...

beautiful! I was a pink girley girl myself, much to my mother's consternation.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all so beautiful!! I have to admit, though, that the thought of a cute little girl in that adorable easter bonnet totally got me. Love that!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Hm, I think my grandma was "Maw-maw" for a while when I was a small kid.

Love the mitered (?) baby bonnet, although with so much beautiful handmade baby stuff here, it's hard to pick a favorite.

7:42 AM  
Blogger June said...

Congratulations, Sara!

Wow, look at all those baby goods. She will be rocking in those outfits, post pictures when the time comes. :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Loree Jackson said...

OMG...the woven baby booties! I can't stand it they are too cute!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Amy Kuhlmann said...

What a wonderful bunch of lucky baby clothes. You're going to be an amazing whatever-you-come-to-be-called. And, except for the strawberry hat stem, not a green in the bunch. You're making her in your mold for sure. Congrats!

11:30 AM  
Blogger SpindleMonkey said...

You are going to be the bestest grammy lambie ever!

3:45 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

what a very lucky grand baby indeed:)
isn't fun to knit "girl?" having all boys in my household i love knitting "girl!"

10:15 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Where were you when I was pregnant? (OK, it was a looong time ago, long before we ever met, but still). I wish I could have retroactively adopted you as my mother-in-law because, well, wow. Not that I was incapable or unproductive, or even that it would have been an age-sensible (as opposed to age-appropriate which has undertones of Eeew which are misplaced) relationship, but my kids had no handspun anything, let alone handwoven anything, let alone handwoven silk, and in retrospect, why the hell not? (In reality: because I wasn't spinning then, as as you know, I'm not a weaver).

And PS I loved rompers for my kids when they were little because (a) OMG cute and (b) they can't congregate in the armpits.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Holy cow, that's going to be one well dressed little girl! I'm a little envious (okay, a LOT). I want a new wardrobe too. They are adorable. Congratulations, whatever you are called. (And the grown up part? Nah. You get to be a kid again with the baby!)

9:30 PM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Those are all gorgeous! This small bundle will be so lovingly dressed, I love the silk dress and easter hat.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Rosane said...

Wow! What a lucky little girl! Everything is gorgeous, as always. Congratulations, grandma or whatever you end up being called! :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tina J said...

I am Mimi to the grandkids, and my DH is Papa. I love it! Beautiful outfits for a lucky grandbaby.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home