Monday, June 28, 2010

Zoom Zoom

Travel Season.
First, the mountains:
cabin 2010

Spinning, knitting, listening to books on tape, a few casual walks, but mostly good friends, good food and several sunny days:
IMG_2729

That's some of Lindsey's yarn, Sue's bobbin with wool in progress, Eileen's bag of knitting notions, some wolf lichen we collected for dyeing, and, ahem, one of the several bottles of wine consumed. I don't remember this particular one, but they went by quickly. It was hot. It was 7000 feet. It was vacation.

It is advisable when traveling, to make sure you have all the parts for your spinning wheel. See that nice big round knob, under the flyer on Lindsey's wheel?
Lendrum folding

Oops. My wheel is the one with the duct tape fix:
lendrum fix

Thankfully, duct tape, a nail and a clothespin block did the trick. Luckily, these are not the pretty face, furniture grade spinning wheels but actual useful spinning tools, which can take a fix or two and keep on spinning. It spun silk just fine:
lendrum fix2

And now is home, cleaned of all duct tape residue, and reunited with its proper knob.

Travel is good time for small projects, but alas, I finished these just before leaving:
white socks

I knit these as samples, using some commercial yarn to see if I could get gauge:
sock yarn

Which I did (get gauge) but it hurt my hands to do the knitting. I'll be altering the pattern for a larger needle and fewer stitches, but that's a project for home, when I can concentrate with paper and pencil, not a project for summer travel.

White socks?? Not anymore:
green socks

They got plopped into a crockpot, and are now a more practical green.

What I am planning to take with me this week:
spindles

My new spindles, from Golding, ebony and silver:
silk spindles

They spin silk just fine too!

Now, off to get packing.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Adventure, I just love adventure! Where next?

4:44 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I think I need a vacation like that....

4:45 PM  
Blogger Bungalow Farm said...

Love the socks Sara! Great pattern!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I also just bought two new spindles. When Doris asked me how many spindles I need, I said - define "need."

10:09 PM  
Blogger Freyalyn said...

I know where you're going.... (coming...?)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

No need to actually pack any spindles, you know.......

4:42 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Have I mentioned I absolutely LOVE it when I find a new post on your blog? They always contain luscious photos and something fun to ponder. And those Golding spindles are gorgeous!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Crafty Weaver said...

I love those spindles too. Wish I had one!
I have a question about yarns. Is the No 10 crochet cotton that you use the same thickness/grist as the no. 10 we can buy in the UK?
I find that the yarn I have wraps 32 epi. I need to know as I am attending one of your workshops.
See you soon.
Maggie

1:44 AM  
Blogger mary said...

I've had the same problem -- forgetting to take along the knob from the spinning wheel -- so I had my husband look at the knob and he got me a bolt of the same length and thread size. Then he put a wing nut on the bolt, and now I keep this bolt-with-wingnut in my "tools" bag that always accompanies me when I go somewhere with the wheel, so that if I again forget the knob, I can make do with the bolt, and tighten it up snuggly with the wingnut.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

God bless whoever invented duct tape. These are truly miraculous. And please disregard my previous comment . . . it's a cookie residue.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home