Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Payoff

Silk spindle bag

Persistence does pay off. Remember this post? I have one picture of the thing in question:
red project bag

That's all I will say about it, other than it really really really did not work. I showed it to one person, Lynn, and she agreed: it did not work (this is why we like honest friends).

But you might remember this post too, and I mean it when I say "get up and do it again".

So I began to slowly dissect the Thing, taking off one bit at a time. As each bit came off, I could see possibilities, and new ways to put it back together. I had some ideas as I worked, and thought I had a plan in place when I someone mentioned a "square bottom bag", and I knew that was the answer.

And so, yesterday, I made a new spindle bag:

Spindle bag2

It's handspun silk, fabric, band and drawstring, lined with commercial silk, trimmed with commercial velvet and piping, and I totally love it:

Spindle bag

It works, it's nice looking, it was worth the wait.

I have parts left over. I have plans for them too, so out of one bag there will be two. I can't wait to get started on the next bag: isn't it fun, the anticipation, the creation and the reveal? Even to me, the reveal is always a surprise: it works! Yay! Fun!

Well, fun when it works, anyway :).

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

That spindle bag is gorgeous. I think it wants to come and live with me.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Devin said...

amazingly cool. I particularly like the details at the top!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

You. This. Love.

By happenstance, I have been collecting pics of antique spindle bags today. :D

2:56 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I wish I had your patience in construction of finely made objects. One of these years....

2:59 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Also, I love the canted strips at the top - they remind me of Seminole patchwork.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Hmmm, I may need a cover for my Aberlour turkish spindle box.

It's lovely, Sara

4:58 PM  
Blogger JQ said...

OH. Gee. Now I have to make a bag for my spindle. Shucks. :P

Seriously. It's made of awesome. Thanks for sharing.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Yes!

Fortunately I have no use for spindle bags, otherwise I'd be desperately coveting. As it is, I can admire.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Celia said...

This bag is crazy fabulous, Sara. Thanks for all your time spent in sharing all your pictures and process!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home